Friday, February 8, 2019

Shaft Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1971, Metro-Goldwyn Mayer released the crime action film Shaft. Directed by Gordon Parks, it was adapted from the novel of the same name released a year earlier. In fact, the writer of the original novel, Ernest Tidyman, co-wrote the screenplay with John D.F. Black. The film would become one of the first and most famous of all the films in the Blaxploitation genre.

The film got mixed reviews upon release, but nowadays is considered a cinematic classic. It was an important step in increasing African-American representation in Hollywood. The film would be added to the National Film Registry in 2000 as it was considered "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant. The film would get sequels and knockoffs. One of the most notable was the 2000 sequel/remake, which starred Samuel L. Jackson as John Shaft...the nephew of Richard Roundtree's John Shaft.

Well, there's another Shaft film coming, and it's going to star Jessie Usher as John Shaft Jr., the son of Samuel L. Jackson's John Shaft. Yeah, the Shaft family are awesome, but they are not very creative with the first names. Let's look at the trailer!


Gotta have that funky Isaac Hayes soundtrack. It's not a Shaft film without it.

Well, that's an awkward way to reunite with your son.

Hey, he's only talkin' about Shaft! (Female chorus: We can dig it!)

Silly Shaft III, he's Nick Fury.

Ow. That'll hurt.

Heh heh heh, that's a burn right there. I laughed so much at that.

I think I figured out why Shaft III's mother left Shaft II.

You know, Shaft III, there's a reason why the phrase "women are the deadlier of the species" is a thing.

And that is why. That'll hurt.

Hey, I'm with Shaft I on being prepared. I used to be in the Scouts. "Be prepared" has always stuck with me.

I love that bit with three Shafts walking together in matching outfits. That is cool personified.

That dude brought a knife to a gunfight. NEVER bring a knife to a gunfight. Anyone who's watched The Untouchables would know this.

Shaft III is working on it. He'll get it.

Well, I will admit, I enjoyed the heck out of this trailer. I was laughing, and bobbing my head to the funky music. It's got me hyped for this movie. I want to see this movie! It looks like it'll be a ton of fun! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go listen to the soundtrack...

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed reading this, please spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some extra support, please drop a nice tip in my Digital Tip Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment