Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Final Fantasy IX Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

In 2000, Square-Enix released the game Final Fantasy IX. The ninth game in their famous Final Fantasy RPG series, it was the third and final game in the series released for the original PlayStation.

Set in a world called Gaia, it told the tale of the bandit named Zidane Tribal, who kidnapped Garnet Til Alexandros XVII. She's the princess of a nation called Alexandria. This event triggers a quest to defeat a great evil responsible for a war between two powerful nations in Gaia. This game returned to the medieval-style setting of the early Final Fantasy games, departing from its two predecessors' futuristic settings. The game was also meant to be a bit of a retrospective of the series, and contains allusions to the previous entries up to that point.

The game sold over 2 and a half million copies upon its original release in Japan, making it the third-highest selling game over there in 2000. It also sold very well in the US, but not as much as VII or VIII. By 2016, it sold over 5 million copies. The game would be highly praised for its graphics, characters, and gameplay. However, it would get some criticism for its music and battle system.

The game would be re-released on other platforms, including mobile phones, Microsoft Windows...and now...the Nintendo Switch. Let's take a look at the launch trailer!


Oh, Garnet puts on the cloak and suddenly she thinks she's a white mage. Yeah, that's the cloak of the white mage.

Heh. I bet at times like that, Zidane often asks himself what he was thinking, kidnapping this crazy princess.

I've never played the original version, so I'm not sure about this, but...do the graphics seem...enhanced? Brighter?

Dance, blue lady! Dance the dance of life!

Is that yellow thing a relative of the Cyberdemon from Doom?

The Black Mage is stoic in appearance, but his mind is all like "AAAAAAAAGH MY EYES! THEY BURRRRRN!"

That horse rider does not look friendly.

Hey, FF has their own Jawas!

That dragon is angry that it got woken up from its nap.

Yeah, those guys are going to regret not having parachutes.

I have to admit something. I was always more of a Dragon Quest fan, but I have played some Final Fantasy in my time. I have VI for the Game Boy Advance, and I also own III for the DS. I am a bit curious about this game, and I have heard it was good. I hope there's a demo, because I would love to try it out.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment