Sunday, February 17, 2019

Text Play: Pokemon Mega Adventure #19

Hello again, everyone! Welcome to entry number 19 of my Text Play of Pokémon Mega Adventure!


Since the last entry, I've been trying to grind up and further adjust my Pokémon team to take on the Bug gym here. I decided to bring in my Pidgeotto (which evolved into Pidgeot), and my Nidoqueen I caught in the Safari Zone. She's a Poison-type, so that may help. Man, I really wish I could have captured that Nidoking I encountered in the Safari Zone. I do have a male Nidoran, but it's at the single digits level-wise, and I don't have a Moon Stone.

You know, maybe I should pay a visit there again and try to capture more Pokémon. And I have no TMs that have any Poison-type attacks. Man, Nidoqueen knowing Toxic would really be helpful right now.

In the Pokémon Center, I learned something interesting. The Gym Leader's name is Luci. That's neat. I hope she's nice. It inspired me to explore the Gym some more. After all, I doubt that Kabuto puzzle was the only one there. This Gym is honestly driving me nuts. I've been trying to adjust my team like crazy in preparation for this whole thing. I looked at all the Pokémon I had captured up to this point.

I do have to give kudos to the game for one thing. It's gotten me to use Pokémon I normally wouldn't. And one of them was Yeaworth, my Grimer. Turns out I had forgotten about him. He was a Poison-type, and had Sludge Bomb...a Poison-Type attack.


Yeah, again, I am an idiot. So I swapped out Nidoqueen for him. Now I gotta grind him up, too. Yay. Luckily, he was already at level 29, so it wasn't so bad.

I decided to take another run in the Safari Zone. Encountered a Nidoking. Again. Failed to catch it. Again. I would not be surprised if it was the same Nidoking I couldn't get last time. I did encounter a Torchic, and its failure to be caught really frustrated me. That Torchic would really have been helpful. I also discovered Seviper, Munchlax, Kricketune, and Snivy. I tend to encounter more Pokémon than I actually catch at the Safari Zone. It's something I hate about the Safari Zone. Also, fun thing. One of the houses in the city has a Greninja cosplayer. Neat.

I needed a break from the grinding, so I decided to visit the Gym and explore it some more. I found another puzzle.


This one is an Omanyte.


It's a bit more difficult than the Kabuto one, but it's not impossible. It's a neat little puzzle, and I still had fun. The Gym also has a seemingly frozen Butterfree and Beedrill in it. They, alongside the other puzzle signs being locked, left me trapped. However, there is a way to move ahead.


See those flowers there? They're hidden switches. They seem to wake up the frozen Beedrill and Butterfree. I managed to capture them. I battled another Trainer, and I found more flowers.


That one is a switch. There are hidden switches in the flowers behind the trainers throughout the Gym. I would eventually unlock another puzzle. This puzzle's picture is a Mew.


Another trainer beat, another hidden switch found. This one is of Ho-Oh. It's the hardest puzzle...which means it took me slightly longer than the others to solve.


You know, the Pokémon depicted in these puzzles are odd choices. The Gym is supposed to be Bug-themed, but none of the Pokémon in the puzzles are Bug-types. They're all either legendaries (Mew and Ho-Oh), or Pokémon that are revived from fossils (Aerodactyl, Kabuto, Omanyte). Oh yeah, one of the puzzles had a picture of an Aerodactyl, too.


I mean, there's quite a few Bug-type Pokémon out there. Why couldn't we have puzzles showing Butterfree? Or Beedrill? Or maybe Dustox? I'm just saying, it would have been appropriate. Well, I can't worry about that now. I finally get to take on the Gym Leader.


Say hello to Luci...I mean Manny. The Gym Leader is a guy named Manny. Yeah, this game has some bad goofups in it. I get the idea the Gym Leader was originally meant to be a girl named Luci, but got changed to Manny, and the dialogue was never updated with this change in mind. His first Pokémon was a Shedinja, but my Pidgeot was easily able to beat it. He next brought out a shiny Heracross.


I can't help but feel that the shiny Heracross being pink was a nod to the anime. I distinctly remember one episode where Ash and the gang encountered some pink Pokémon. They ended up pink because they ate certain berries. Like how flamingoes are pink because they eat a certain shellfish.

His Heracross also had a surprise: it can Mega Evolve. Great. I really should not be surprised at this point. I think every Gym Leader packs a Pokémon that can Mega Evolve in this game. The Mega Heracross was able to wreck Pidgeot, but Butterfree was easily able to take it down with the Sleep Powder/Gust combo. Felt a bit anti-climactic. With that, I got my latest badge: The Bug Badge. I also got TM81: X-Scissor. Manny says he's looking forward to seeing me in the Pokémon League. Does that mean he's also one of the Elite Four here? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Either way, I'm feeling great. Six badges down, two to go. When I left the Gym and headed back to the Pokémon Center to readjust my team (All that grinding for Yeaworth, and it turned out I didn't need him after all. Ah, well. At least I got him to evolve into Muk and got another Pokedex entry filled in), and I found this.


Evidently, with me winning the Gym, Ash was able to clear out Team Prime, except for Celestial. I'm going to have to fight this guy, huh? It's kind of hilarious and disturbing that he was fighting them the entire time I was grinding and going my way through the Insester Gym. Surpringly, he just taunts Ash and runs away. But there's a bigger problem: Team Prime has Rayquaza. Well, of course they would. I battled that blasted Rayquaza! Ash plans to join Brendan and Looker in infiltrating their Secret Base. Good luck to you, let me know if you need any help. You likely will in the future.

So, with that, time to hit Route 13. I scouted ahead a bit. Ended up battling a couple trainers there, and encountered Bronzor and Elygem. I didn't catch them as I had already done so earlier. And with that, I think that's where we'll end this entry. Join me next time as I travel Route 13! Thank you for reading this blog entry! If you enjoyed it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! See you next time!

Pokémon Obtained:
Muk (evolved from Grimer)

Safari Zone
Roselia
Ninjask
Pansear

No comments:

Post a Comment