Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Pokemon Sword and Shield Reveal, My Thoughts!

It's here! It's here! Today is Pokémon Day, everyone! Yup, it's been 23 years since Pokémon Red and Blue arrived in the world!  The Pokémon Company said they would have a very special surprise for the fans of their long-running monster-catching franchise, and boy did they deliver! Pokémon has officially begun its eighth generation! Two new games are coming to the Nintendo Switch this year: Pokémon Sword and Shield!

As a longtime Pokémon fan, I am incredibly excited for these two new games! I recently beat Pokémon Sun, so I feel like there's some cosmic serendipity here. Let's take a look at the reveal trailer!


Wow. This game looks amazing already. I heard the new region in this game, Galar, is based on the United Kingdom. Well, as someone who was born there, I say this. It's about bloody time. I can't wait to see how they Pokémon-ize the country I was born in.

God, that backpack makes me chuckle. It's like the Trainer is carrying a trunk on his back!

I have to say, everything looks spectacular. I know it's not the final game footage, but they could release it looking like this and it would get praised.

And of course, there's Pikachu. Can't have a Pokémon game without Pikachu.

Hey, a Minccino! Tail to the face!

I do recognize quite a few Pokémon here. There's Hoothoot, Grubbin (Who became a part of my regular team early on in Pokémon Sun), Flygon, Wailmer, Tyranitar, and Lucario. I wonder if these are old Pokémon that'll be obtainable in this new game.

Aww, that Munchlax is cute.

Got a nice variety of environments here. And they all look really incredible.

...are those the Pokémon World's version of the Nazca Lines? I thought this at first, but considering that Galar is based on the UK, it's likely some people making bad crop circles for a laugh.

I also like the remix of the Pokémon theme.

And naturally, in a UK-inspired region, you're going to play some soccer. Or Football as they call it.

And now...time to meet the new starters. Always the first new Pokémon introduced.

Meet Scorbunny, the Fire starter. It's cute. I heard it's become quite popular, but there are fears it'll evolve into a Fire/Fighting type. Personally, I think Scorbunny's full evolution will end up being Fire/Ground. Would make sense. It's a rabbit, and rabbits dig. This one's a real go-getter.

Meet Sobble, the Water Starter. It can become invisible in bodies of water, which is awesome. It's a cool Pokémon. I like that it's a bit shy.

Play that funky rock!

And finally, meet Grookey, the Grass starter. It's a grass monkey, and it's adorable. I don't think I can honestly pick which one. I hope there's a way to get all three in-game, because there is no way I am getting a second Switch. No way.

I like the logos. The slash mark across the "Sword" and the font of "Shield" are very nice touches. I'm guessing the wolf's heads are hints of the legendary Pokémon you'll encounter in this game. At least, I'm assuming.

I am hoping that a couple things from Sun and Moon. One is the Exp Share. I hope you get that early, because it was so helpful to me when it came to grinding Pokémon.  Also in those games, some Pokémon were slightly altered, giving them unique variants to Alola. I hope we see that again here. Makes sense some species evolved differently in different places, so seeing some unique Galar variants would be fun.

I am honestly really excited for these games. I cannot wait for them to come out! They can't come soon enough! I hope they put out a demo soon, because I want to try it out!

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some extra support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment