Monday, February 18, 2019

Link's Awakening Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1993, Nintendo released The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the original Game Boy. It was the fourth game in the Legend of Zelda series, and the first game in the series for a handheld. The game told the tale of Link traveling the island of Koholint after his ship crashed there thanks to a storm. While there, he goes on an epic adventure to wake the island's sleeping guardian, the Wind Fish, with the aid of eight magical musical instruments.

It would be given much critical praise, despite it being criticized for its monochrome graphics and controls. The game would sell over 3 million copies, and it regarded as one of the very best games for the Game Boy. It also was an unusual game as Link didn't fight Ganon, nor was there any Triforce. Princess Zelda was mentioned, but that was really it.

In 1998, the game was given an updated re-release for the Game Boy Color as The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. It included a special color-based dungeon to take advantage of the Game Boy Color's capabilities. This version was praised as well and sold over 2 million copies.

Well, the latest Nintendo Direct has revealed a nice surprise. A third remake is coming, this one for the Nintendo Switch. So, let's take a look!


Ahh, this is taking me back. All it needs is the 8-bit music from the intro. Link's Awakening was one of my favorite games ever for the original Game Boy. I played that game so much as a kid. That and DuckTales. And Pokémon. And Super Mario Land. I loved my Game Boy.

Yeah, getting struck by lightning suuuuuucks.

I was so surprised and overjoyed to see that this is coming.

The art style is adorable! It feels like a natural evolution of the original Game Boy style. I know there's been some backlash over it, but I don't see what the problem is. I think it fits.

Watch out for Bow Wow!

Heh heh, fart noise.

Yeah, those side-scrolling parts with the Goombas blew my mind as a kid. What were Goombas doing here? Did they flee Mario's rampages through the Mushroom Kingdom? Well, it does make sense if you know the game's story. I won't spoil it.

I also enjoy the music in this game.

Coming out this year, huh? Hope I won't have to wait too long.

Well, I am incredibly excited for this remake. I loved this game on the original Game Boy. I never expected this remake, and I am so happy they are doing it. To me, it's one of the best games ever, and I think this version will be awesome! Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you like it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment