Sunday, November 3, 2019

Disney Classic Games Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

In the late-80s and early-90s, Disney had video games made based on their various animated properties. One of them, DuckTales, was regarded as one of the best games for the original Nintendo Entertainment System. It, and games based on the animated series Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, and Darkwing Duck, were later collected as part of The Disney Afternoon Collection for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.

In the mid-90s, Disney had games made to promote two of their animated films: Aladdin and The Lion King. The two games were mainly released for Nintendo and Sega's 16-bit consoles: The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and the Genesis. Interestingly, the Genesis and SNES version of Aladdin are quite different. They were also ported to other consoles and handhelds like Windows, Game Boy, and Game Gear.

The two games were given plenty of praise, and now they're making a comeback. Yup, they're being brought together in a new collection pack coming to the Nintendo Switch: Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and the Lion King. Let's take a look!


Heh heh, I love the little CRT effect. That's how console games back then were played, kids.

I do remember playing Aladdin on the SNES back in the day. Rented it from a video store. Remember those? I miss video stores. There used to be one near where I work. I could rent a movie on the way home return it on the way to work.

I like that this collection includes multiple version of the games. I know the SNES and Genesis Aladdin games were different. I'm not sure about The Lion King. Might be true for those games, too.

Watch Mode, huh? If you ever got stuck on any part of these games, you can just get past it. I'm sure some old-school gamers would get a laugh out of this.

I like the rewind feature. Makes practicing easier and less frustrating.

Ooh, behind-the-scenes stuff, too? Awesome! I love behind the scenes stuff! It's always fascinating to me seeing the work that goes into making these games. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a game-maker myself.

A trade show demo? Awesome! And I love that it's playable! It would be fun to see how it differed from the final version.

I also like the ability to listen to the game music. I'm sure it will bring back memories for some players. And the ability to adjust your display settings is great for those who want to make it look like it's being played on a CRT TV. I know there are some retrogamers who prefer it like that, because that's the way they played games as a kid. Me, I don't mind the HD upgrades.

Well, I am surprised that these games are being released. They're licensed games, so the IP issues can be a bit of a pain to deal with in cases of getting these games re-released. I'm glad that Disney is able to introduce these games to a new generation of gamers. I think I'll add this to my Switch library.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment