Monday, November 11, 2019

Veterans' Day

On this day in the United States we celebrate Veterans' Day.


On this day, like I did last year, I want to give a bit of a primer on the history of this day and what it means to me.

Well, on this day in 1918, an armistice was signed between the Allies and the Central Powers of Germany, which is credited for ending World War I. In later years, this day would be celebrated as Armistice Day. It would be made an official holiday in 1938.

In 1945, a man named Raymond Weeks, a veteran of World War II, had the idea that Armistice Day should be expanded to celebrate veterans of WWII as well. He had support for General, and future President, Dwight D. Eisenhower. In 1947, he held the first celebration in Alabama. He continued to do so until his death in 1985.

In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower would sign into law a bill that would formally establish Veterans Day. For a brief time in the 1970s, Veterans Day was moved to the fourth Monday of October. It would get moved back to November 11 in 1978.

Several members of my family have served in the Armed Forces in the past. My father is a former Air Force man. My late grandfather and grand-uncle served in WWII. I know that Veterans' Day is a day to honor living veterans, but I do think about my grandfather and great-uncle on this day. If you have a person who served in your life, give them a hug, tell them you love them, and thank them for their service.

No comments:

Post a Comment