Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Final Fantasy VII Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1997, the video game company Square (now known as Square Enix), released the seventh game in their Final Fantasy series: Final Fantasy VII. Originally, it was intended to be developed for the Super Nintendo Entertainment system, like the three previous games in the series before it: IV, V, and VI. However, the technical advantages of CD-ROM technology intrigued the developers, so it went to the Sony PlayStation.

This game does have some major firsts. It was the first game in the Final Fantasy series to be released in PAL regions like Europe. It was the first game in the series to not be released on a Nintendo console at launch. It was the first game in the series to use 3D computer graphics. It also is credited as the game that managed to make RPGs popular in the West.

The game is very-highly acclaimed for its gameplay, graphics, music, and its cyberpunk story which dealt with themes of life (Series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi chose this theme after his mother died during development of FFVI). It's regarded as one of the greatest video games of all time. And naturally, this game would be released on various other platforms over the years, like on various PlayStation consoles thanks to the PlayStation Network, and on PC. There's even a remake coming for the PS4.

The main character of the game, one Cloud Strife, would become one of video games' most recognizable characters, right up there with Mario and Sonic. He's even appeared in the Kingdom Hearts and Super Smash Bros. series. I enjoyed playing as him in the 3DS Smash game.

The original version has added two new consoles to its travelogue: The Xbox One...and the Nintendo Switch. Let's take a look at the Switch launch trailer!


I wonder if the remake will come to Switch as well?

The Lifestream looks really neat.

Yeah, you can tell this game is over twenty years old. I'm not knocking it, I'm just pointing it out.

For God's sake Cloud, ask Tifa out!

See, everyone else wants you to do it already!

Uh, Cloud? You may want to wake up, buddy.

That monster is big, ugly, and we're going to have to fight that thing, aren't we?

Aerith, I don't get what you're praying for. I think it will be a given that Avengers: Endgame will break some box office records.

And there's Sephiroth standing in a fire. This is proof he's a crazy man, as noncrazy men would not stand around in a fire like that.

Is it weird I want to see Sephiroth fight Terminators?

Cloud saw an action movie, and it gave him ideas.

BOOM.

Well, I have to make a confession here. I never played this game before. I never even owned the original PlayStation. I am well aware of this game's legacy, though. As such, I am happy that this game is able to reach a new audience thanks to the Switch and Xbox One. Heck, I may give this game a try myself. And I'm honestly more of a Dragon Quest guy over a Final Fantasy guy.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, please spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment